Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Life and Death

For the first time I got to participate in a burial, and a barbeque on Mt. Jordan. The burial was very sad because one of the babies whom I had the privilege of working with had passed. Her name was Kelly who was 6 months old when she died and was considered a medically fragile baby. Kelly was born pre-mature, and was not eating well. There were lots of concerns about Kelly amongst the other students including myself. The last time I saw Kelly was in language group. She was very pail looking and her eyes looked like they sunk into her face to the point where the bones around her eyes were showing. Kelly apparently was brought to the hospital in Kolomo and had died they very next day. A burial service took place today on 06/09/2010. All of us grieved as we saw her body taken in a small casket to an isolated, but pretty area underneath a tree. We all said a prayer as we watched the tiny casket being lowered into the ground and covered with dirt. It was a sad time. So much life and so very young, but may she find peace. I found it very interesting that in Africa they do not say funeral instead they refer to it as a burial. People do not get dressed up to attend a funeral, nor do they wear black. They often wear casual garb such as a chi tangy. In Africa they do not morn the way we do when they see a person exit the world. Instead they treat death as though they will see that person again, so they come as they are. After the burial all of the girls including myself attended a birthday celebration. It is strange, yet interesting to celebrate life and death in the same day, and that is what we did. The birthday celebration for Ian, Dr. Tulles’s son went beautifully. We all drove to Mount Jordan in Kacky Jackie which is where we had a barbeque with guacamole, salsa, hot dogs, and smoors. Yummy! We even played music to “The Circle of Life” as Dr. Tulles lifted his son up into the air on Mt. Jordan like they do in the Lion King. It was pretty funny. We got a lot of pictures taken. It is not every day that someone in the States can say they had this sort of agenda. You truly learn to appreciate everything about Africa and take the bad with the good. There are so many good things to focus on in life and that is what we must take into account.

6 comments:

  1. Praying for all of you Meghann! Mrs. Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all of your prayers. They are greatly needed and much appreciated. I believe they have touched the souls of many children and babies in need. I hope you are doing well and having a great Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've finally remembered my google password and can post a comment on your blog! It's been my habit to read each of the students' blogs in the evenings after I put my girls to bed. I've been behind this week so I've spent some time this morning (Saturday, here) catching up. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Alfred! I will keep praying for those little ones and for each of you. I'm proud of you for seizing this opportunity, Meghann! Tell everyone "hello" from me! Ms. Lowry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure will say, "hello" to everyone for you. Hope you are having a great summer as well. Take care and I will be seeing you for class very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a treat to experience this trip through the words/pictures of each one of you. Regardless of what has stood out to each of you individually, the main idea has continually been about blessings. What a mighty God we serve!! It has been fun to observe the growth in each one of you both professionally and personally as you have served the children there. I am especially excited for you in regards to the work that you have done with your inividual client. I think you have a special calling for that. I look forward to seeing more of the pictures and hearing the stories from your trip. Until then, you will remain in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy the reminder of your time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. I will have lots to share with you upon my return including lots of great pictures. I am glad you have gotten a chance to read my blog. Hope all is well and that you are havin a terrific summer! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete